The forgotten north
The next development hotspot in bali
North Bali Airport will be a definite game changer for the North. A 2 billion USD project that aims to ease pressure on the overpopulated South and provide equality by spreading the tourism dollars throughout the island. To accompany the new international airport, talks are already in motion to build a train line between Denpesar and North Bali as well as a hospital and improved infrastructure.
A World Class Tourist Destination
Bali is truly one of the planets most original destinations and attracts tourists from all over the world. The reasons to visit are endless from shopping and surfing to the wonders of the natural world. The south of the island is highly populated, and many people make the mistake of getting trapped in the Kuta – Seminyak – Ubud loop where although there are lots to do, the local colour is now lost.
Discover the Breathtaking Magic of Northern Bali
The peaceful North of Bali remains undisturbed by the energetic tourism that graces Southern Bali each year. Still, it’s not all peace and quiet. Northern Bali has some of the best diving, snorkeling, and fishing in Asia.
Menjangan Island means ‘Deer Island’. It was named after locals often observed entire herds of wild deer swimming to the island every spring. Menjangan is renowned for its world-class diving and snorkeling. Bobi explains:
‘I wanted our residents to take advantage of the incredible water activities that I have enjoyed here since I was a boy. So, we partnered with the best diving centre in the area to run trips to Menjangan. At present, we attract water enthusiasts from all over the world.’
For those who love the water but don’t want to get wet, Bamboo Village also offers unique fishing adventures in traditional Balinese boats. For lovers of dry land, your options include lazing on sleepy beaches, discovering lush native forest or hiking to magical waterfalls whilst passing majestic clove, cacao, jackfruit, and mangosteen trees.
Things To Do In The North Of Bali
The north of the island of Bali is a veritable treasure trove of wonders, far from the madding crowd. This region is mostly undiscovered and offers visitors an exceptional experience. Some of the nearby tourist activities include:
- Baboon Diving Centre facilitates both diving and snorkelling trips to the nearby Menjangan Island on behalf of the Bamboo Village.
- A day out on a traditional fishing vessel suitable.
- A day out to Lovina dolphin spotting
- Trip to Pemuteran a sleepy beach town arching around a small bay about 10 kilometers away
- Hike the thickly forested interior of the island near the village of Sekumpul to discover six or seven stunning waterfalls which are roughly a 45-minute walk through rainforest trails.
- Banyuwedang Hot Springs. You’ll find hot water pools with views over the bay of West Bali National Park. The water can reach up to 40 degrees centigrade and is known for its therapeutic properties. It overlooks the bay, almost like a natural infinity pool, surrounded by the dense mangrove forest of the national park.